‘Leeds. One of the UK’s top cities for restaurants.’
Which? Good Food Guide 2007
Leeds is renowned for its good nights out. As well as the usual high street suspects, the city has a fantastic array of independent bars and clubs. The Northern Quarter around New Briggate bustles with hip little hideaways like Mojo, Sandinista and North Bar, whilst the Exchange Quarter is home to a range of popular establishments from brb, Oporto and Norman to the more relaxed and refined surroundings of Art’s Café.
When the evening is over there is a fantastic choice of accommodation, from exclusive boutique hotels to more affordable budget options.
Leeds is filled to bursting with great places to eat, from cafés where you can get a quick cuppa and piece of cake, to exquisite fine dining restaurants serving gastronomic wonders. The restaurants in Leeds are recognised as amongst the best in the country, with acclaimed eateries catering for every taste and creating flavours from around the world.
The city boasts a rich cultural calendar. It plays host to the Leeds International Pianoforte Competition and the Leeds International Film Festival and showcases outstanding productions and performances at venues like the West Yorkshire Playhouse and Leeds Town Hall. It is the only English city outside London with its own opera and ballet companies – the internationally acclaimed Opera North and Northern Ballet Theatre.
Leeds has always been a popular place for live music, and recent local successes include the Kaiser Chiefs, Corinne Bailey Rae, Embrace, The Music, The Pigeon Detectives and ¡Forward Russia!
- The city is home to five renowned theatres, 83 restaurants, 133 bars and pubs and 38 nightclubs
- ‘Leeds. The UK’s best city for nightlife.’ Condé Nast Traveller 2004
- The West Yorkshire Playhouse is the UK’s largest repertory theatre outside London and Stratford
- Two restaurants hold the Michelin Bib Gourmande in Leeds city centre: Brasserie Forty 4 and Anthony’s at Flannels
- Anthony’s was named ‘Best UK Restaurant 2005’ by the Observer Food Monthly, and currently holds three AA rosettes
- Room was named ‘Best Yorkshire and Humberside Restaurant 2005’ by the Observer Food Monthly